- About me
I am a Partner and the Head of our Employment Department. I have specialised in employment law for over 20 years with a significant personal following providing day to day advice to regular clients.
I advise employers across a range of sectors including construction, engineering, recruitment, education establishments and charities on all employment law matters including:
- Dismissal, disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Redundancy – both individual and collective consultation
- Discrimination and equal opportunities
- Managing employee absence
- Termination negotiations at director level
- Post-termination obligations
- Settlement Agreements
- Data Protection,
- Employment Tribunal representation
- HR training
I have particular expertise in discrimination law and act for both employers and employees in relation to discrimination claims.
I also regularly contribute to the trade press on employment law developments, and I am a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
I joined Taylor Walton in 2007.
- Advised a large company in relation to a reorganisation of their staffing arrangements which involved collective consultation and eventual redundancies.
- Advised and represented successfully a company in the manufacturing sector in relation to high value unlawful deduction of salary claim.
- Advised a company in the construction industry in relation to a sexual harassment case.
- Advised a manufacturing company on the TUPE implications of an out sourcing agreement.
- Advised and represented successfully a client in the recruitment sector in relation to a disability discrimination claim.
- Advised an international company in relation to succession planning of their senior management team leading to settlement agreements.
- Advise senior executives in connection with exit packages including share options and bonus payments.
- Provide HR training to clients in all aspects of employment law including subjects such as harassment in the workplace, disciplinary and grievance procedures and settlement agreements.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Alec’s ability to keep good lines of communication with counsel and the client stands out for me. He is sensitive to client emotions arising when directors of smaller companies fall out. He has a good appreciation of the way in which relationships as well as technical law are the foundation of many employment cases. – Legal 500, 2024
Alec Colson really stands out, representing me with a calm humour that very much puts me at ease. When I first made contact I felt that he listened, had patience and very quickly understood the key issues. – Legal 500, 2024
Alec Colson is our long term partner supporting for all HR related topics. He is always available to give advice and guidance. We also used Alec to provide some in-house training to all our managers related to general HR-related legal considerations. Alec can also explain any issue in simple English.’ – Legal 500, 2023
Alec Colson’s posts
Request a call back
We’ll arrange a no-obligation call back at a time to suit you.