- About me
I am a Partner in our Employment Department with over 12 years of experience of advising employers and senior executives on a wide range of employment law matters.
I have significant experience in a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters including employment tribunal claims, redundancies, disciplinary and grievances and drafting and negotiating service and settlement agreements.
In addition, I advise our clients on business immigration matters which is increasingly important for businesses who are having to look at different approaches to recruitment of staff given current skills shortages.
Over the years I have also gained significant experience of advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions including advice on business transfers and outsourcing matters, often involving complex TUPE issues.
I always strive to provide an excellent service to clients, seeking to understand the nature of their business or concerns and what they want to achieve in order to provide practical and tailored solutions to the issues that our clients face.
Having joined Taylor Walton as a trainee solicitor in 2007 and qualifying into the employment team in 2009, and becoming a Partner in 2021, I am testament to our ‘Grow our Own’ ethos.
I joined Taylor Walton in 2007.
- Advising an incoming contractor in the manufacturing industry in relation to an outsourcing contract involving multiple sites including negotiating the TUPE aspects of the commercial contract.
- Advising on the employment aspects of a merger between two large companies in the construction industry including assistance with the TUPE information and consultation process and advice on post merger changes.
- Advising a senior director who was also the shareholder of a business in the manufacturing industry on a complex unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
- Advising a client operating in the food industry on a complex whistleblowing claim which was eventually resolved by way of settlement.
- Advising a large client in the construction industry on multi-site redundancies.
- Preparation and advice in relation to updating contracts of employment and policies for a large employer with over 200 employees.
- Assisting an employee engaged in the recruitment industry with the grievance process and submission of an employment tribunal claim following a serious incident of sexual harassment.
- LLB from Kings College London
- LPC from the College of London
- Admitted as Solicitor of Senior Courts of England and Wales
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Nicola Smyrl exemplifies the perfect solicitor, she was understanding, but always managed to keep us on-track. Nicola is by far the best solicitor I have dealt with and I have recommended Taylor Walton, and Nicola in particular to many friends and colleagues. – Legal 500, 2024
‘We deal primarily with Nicola Smyrl. Nicola is absolutely excellent to deal with and is always very thorough, patient and works to tight deadlines where required.’ – Legal 500, 2023
Nicola Smyrl’s posts
Request a call back
We’ll arrange a no-obligation call back at a time to suit you.