- About me
I’m a Partner and Head of our Corporate Department, with 30 years’ experience advising management teams, corporates and investment funds on acquisitions, buyouts, joint ventures, equity investments, restructurings, financings and other corporate transactions.
As a former city law firm Partner, I offer exceptional perspective, responsiveness and personal attention at non-London fee rates.
My objective is to achieve fair and practicable outcomes with a minimum of fuss and expense.
I have operated within the healthcare, telecoms, education, tech, retail and manufacturing sectors.
I joined Taylor Walton in 2015.
Recent work includes advising:
- Sellers of telecoms, engineering, insurance-broking, scaffolding, education, care home, hotels, online retail, pet food, marine spares, restaurant and grocery businesses on their sales and earn-out or re-investment arrangements
- Buyers on their acquisitions of plant hire, circuit component, ventilation-solutions and automotive components businesses
- Lenders on loan facility and security documentation in a variety of industries
- Borrowers on the refinancing of existing bank facilities
- Investors in start-up pharma and tech projects
- Management on the partial exit and raising of capital from senior debt and private equity providers
- Management on the senior debt and private equity financed MBO of their business
- Shareholders on several Section 110 Insolvency Act de-mergers
- Shareholders on their governance and exit arrangements
- MA from Balliol College, University of Oxford
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Simon was and still is the epitome of professionalism, compassion, and caring with a rare understanding of the stress of letting go of your business. His explanations and clarification of every detail of the transaction was way beyond what I expected, no question was to much trouble he would contact me if he thought any part of the transaction might give me cause for concern. Simon managed to dilute the pressure I was under from my buyer with continuous reassurance and feedback several times a day if required, keeping everything on track, moving the sale forward, his experience and exemplary knowledge meant that the transaction was completed with integrity and accountability completing the sale to everyone’s satisfaction.
Simon Hughes offers the highest level of professional standards and advice. His many years of experience provide practical and efficient resolutions. He delivers excellent service and has a great sense of humour. – Legal 500, 2024
Simon Hughes in particular is fantastic. He combines common sense with professionalism in a way that puts me at ease and inspired confidence. Highly recommended. – Legal 500, 2024
Simon was available and highly responsive with advice and support throughout the funding round. He strikes a perfect balance of client advice/protection for essential items and pragmatism on non-essential; facilitating smooth, conflict free progress between the parties. – Direct Client Feedback
Simon Hughes’ posts
Request a call back
We’ll arrange a no-obligation call back at a time to suit you.